The wear and tear in the spine can cause damage in soft muscle tissue which can lead to excess pressure on bones and disc. This causes the disc to move from its alignment and cause disc herniation (commonly called a slipped disc) It causes pain and difficulty handling day-to-day activities.

1. Sudden and shooting pain: You may also experience that the pain in the upper back radiates to the arms and the pain in the lower back radiates to the pelvis and legs.

2. The pain lasts for hours to several weeks at a stretch.

3. You cannot sit or stand for a long period of time. In fact, sitting or standing for a long time only increases the pain.

4. When you change your body position, you notice that the pain reduces.

5. Frequent and painful muscle spasms.
Strain and Occupational Stress: People in more physically demanding jobs are prone to a slipped disc.

Obesity and genetic factors: The excess weight in the body puts prolonged pressure on the back-bone, leading to a slipped disc.

Accidents and Injuries: Unexpected physical damage from accidents can crack the vertebrae.

Gender: Studies have shown that men are more prone to slipped discs than women.

Most slipped-disc cases can be treated non-surgically, with the aid of physiotherapy. Please seek treatment if symptoms persist over time.
Medical History: Your doctor will ask about your symptoms, when they started, and any previous back problems you may have had.

Physical Examination: Your doctor will perform a physical examination to assess your posture, movement, and any pain or discomfort you may be experiencing. They may also test your reflexes, muscle strength, and sensation.

Imaging Tests: Imaging tests, such as X-rays, MRI scans, or CT scans, help to visualize the spine and identify any damage to the disk. MRI scans are usually the preferred method for diagnosing a slipped disk, as they provide detailed images of the soft tissues of the spine.

Based on the results of these tests, your doctor can determine if you have a slipped disk and recommend appropriate treatment. In some cases, they may refer you to a specialist, such as a neurologist or orthopedic surgeon, for further evaluation and treatment.